Follow Me Into the Woods

          I'll admit it: I'm a sucker for a good aesthetic. From the time they started popping up on Tumblr, Instagram, et al, I've loved finding great ones for my favorite characters and even toyed with making my own for my stories and characters, even if it was just within the confines of Google Docs and thus weren't as well-done overall as the ones you can find online. 

          But recently, I self-published my historical horror novella Wolf of the Pines, set in 1836 in the Pines Barrens of southern New Jersey. It tells the tale of Cal and Louisa Jennings, a husband-and-wife Piney pair who just want to find some place to settle down but haven't had much luck over the last five years. Their wanderings bring them to the small, isolated village of Colter, where they hope to make their home at last, but while they do manage to find a friend in Quint March, a local shopkeeper and respected local figure, things quickly take a turn for the worse when bodies start to drop during the full moon and the townsfolk come to suspect Cal in the killings. Is he the killer, or is there something worse out there stalking the woods, a creature beyond any of the villagers' worst imaginings? 

          The answers can be found in the pages of Wolf of the Pines, available now in ebook and paperback, and the answer to why I started this post off talking about aesthetics and segued into pimping my first major single-author work can be found in the next sentence. I used Canva for the first time when I designed the cover for "Unreality" and went back into it for Wolf, and this inspired me to use it to make an aesthetic for Wolf of the Pines, a real nice one, all official-like, and that's exactly what I did. There's more to come; I plan on doing them for each of the three main characters, at least, and hopefully I'll have them up soon—making aesthetics will definitely rank on a future installment of the Joy List, you can bet on that. So here you go, for your enjoyment, the first official Sarah Cannavo aesthetic. Enjoy!







Comments

Popular Posts