Axe Murders! Bunnies! Indie music!

           Here with another update, dear readers, to inform you that Schlock! Horror! is now available in paperback and e-book from HellBound Books Publishing! A glorious gorefest paying homage to the slash-and-screamfest movies and books of the eighties, the anthology is packed full of stories that, even if they aren't set in that bloodsoaked, bygone age, still embody all that was great about those good old days. 

          And yes, one of those stories is my own, "Axe Me No Questions" (and no, if you were wondering, especially if you know me and know how I feel about puns, that was not my original title, but the editors suggested it to add to the trashy-horror-movie feel of it all, and I agreed, because at least it works). I wrote it specifically for this submission call, but it came from an idea I had almost a year ago that had been lingering in the back of my twisted mind ever since, and it's my way of adding to the classic "inadvertent road trip with a serial killer" genre, a favorite of mine. Two traveling musicians pick up a harmless, rabbit-raising old man as they road-trip across the American Southwest—what could possibly go wrong? Funny you should ask, because quite a lot of shit does go wrong, but if you want specifics, you gotta read the story.

          Paul and Bobbie, my musical couple, perform under the name Wine & Roses and record indie music in the vein of The Civil Wars and Leonard Cohen, among others. However, you may or may not be surprised to know that wasn't exactly the kind of music I cued up as I was writing this story. Here are the songs I did have on repeat to get me in the right mood; check them out as you read, if you want, or just do what my grandma does and accuse me of being "weird" and "screwed up" and question my life choices. Either way, the book's published. The story happened. Deal with it, normies. 

          1. "The Drifter," Green on Red
          2. "Axeman," Amebix 
          3. "Mexican Radio," Wall of Voodoo
          4. "Jack the Ripper," Motorhead
          5. "Riders on the Storm," The Doors

          As always, the link to purchase the book can be found in this post, and will also be hung for display in the Hall of Shameless Self-Promotion as a permanent display. And remember, there's seventeen other stories in the collection, too, so even if axe murders, young musicians, and elderly British professors aren't your thing, there's bound to be something in there to really get to you. I hope you enjoy finding it.

       


          

Comments

Popular Posts