Wrong Place, Right Time

          I wrote a little poem a few years ago called "The Night Whispers," which owes a lot to Poe and my lifelong love of all things spooky and beautiful, and last year I submitted it to the good folks at Lycan Valley Press for their anthology Untimely Frost along with my poem "Growing Cold," a more recent, personal, grief-inspired work. Of course you know how that ended: "Growing Cold" was selected and appeared in the anthology, but its fraternal twin wasn't rejected, not completely: The editors emailed me after I submitted it to ask if they could consider it for another anthology they were putting together, Darkling's Beasts and Brews. I, of course, replied yes so fast my pinched nerve screamed at me for a week after, but in the end it was worth it, because I ended up getting accepted there, too. Two poems, two acceptances, one great publisher. 

          And now, after printing issues and several unforeseen delays, it has arrived. Darkling's Beasts and Brews is a collection of dark poetry divided into several themed beverage sections: Coffee and Tea, Cocktails and Mixed Drinks, Smoothies, Milkshakes, Shots, Punch, and a section called Bonus Clown Recipes. And if that doesn't perk your brow a bit, I hate to be the one to tell you but you might actually be dead inside. I'd go check that as soon as it's convenient for you. Each poem's paired with a specialty drink (and I won't tell you mine; gotta leave some surprises) and the whole thing is introduced by Darkling, Lycan Valley's own cemetery darling.

          Thirsty? Curious? A little freaked out by the idea of clown-themed recipes? Why not see if your nightmares match the reality and order a copy for yourself or that pretty Goth barista you've been silently stalking at the coffeeshop near your apartment for weeks now (yes, I know about that. I know about everything)? At least take a moment to judge this book by its cover here, and later on, when you're completely drunk on themed cocktails and dark poetry, remember that I'll know, because I know about everything, and somewhere, I'll be smiling.

Comments

Popular Posts